The Music in Pasion de Gavilanes

 It is time for the final post…

Rather than subject y’all to this insanely complex plot (that I would rather not try to write down again), I want to discuss one of the new topics we learned in-between the last blog post and this one: Music!

 

I have learned in this short time of watching this telenovela that I love the way music is used within the writing. They purposefully stop the flow of a conversation to incorporate a specific song and emulate the emotions presented in the scene, so the audience doesn’t fall behind. I have found this extremely useful as I have frequently found myself saying, “What?” and replaying the last 10 seconds of the scene again and again. With a song to tell me when specific emotions are brewing, I no longer have to rewatch a scene that I would’ve found myself confused over. 

What are my favorite songs?

1.     Fiera Inquieta

                                                                                                                 


b.     Obviously, my favorite song will be the theme song. It is accompanied by a very entertaining intro scene that I never skip (I love the bird that continuously shows up throughout it). It’s upbeat and the lyrics are incredibly catchy (I won’t say it out loud, but the song is why I chose this telenovela). 

2.     Violence and suspense

   



a.     Whenever someone is about to get angry, theres this bit of music that plays like it’s a little warning, telling to buckle up because it’s about to get real; I love it so much. It starts out slightly orchestral and adds “DUN DUN” when the characters react. It makes the scene so much better, because you know that the character is reacting to what is happening but you are left in slight suspense waiting for the action to begin. I think its so high up on my list because I love drama and I also love when Juan starts fighting everybody. He has really bad anger issues and it shows. 

3.     Sad lovey dovey



a.     It’s definitely not my favorite. I think it’s because i’ve conditioned myself to hate it over the course of the first few episodes, because it played a lot when Libia and Bernardo had their romance scenes. Unfortunately, since I disliked Libia and Bernardos age gap of 1 billion years, I disliked their relationship. It is a beautiful song as it sounds melancholic and slightly sad (it is probably because they both die), but I can appreciate it separate from the scenes it appears in, so I decided it was worth mentioning. 

That’s it from me :(. While this show has insane twists and turns that consistently throw me for a loop, the music they use all the time is the only thing helping me keep up. This class has been so interesting, and I am beyond happy I chose this seminar. 

Comments